BECAUSE YOU HAD TO GIVE NAMES TO EVERYTHING YOU FOUND, AND MAKE LOGOS FOR BAD IDEAS, AND CHANGE YOUR CAR EVERY TWO YEARS AND WAKE UP EARLY FOR CONFERENCE CALLS, AND IT TURNED OUT TO BE NO PROGRESS AT ALL / JUST A SHADOW FESTIVAL / BECAUSE OF THAT YOU WILL HAVE TO LEARN TO LOOK AT THE SKY AGAIN, YOU WILL HAVE TO LEARN TO EAT FOOD THAT GROWS WHERE YOU LIVE AGAIN, YOU WILL HAVE TO LEARN TO TOUCH WHAT YOU MAKE

- Robert Montgomery

Monday, January 03, 2005

This is not a bill.

The new Bradley Library where my mom works had their grand opening this morning. I got up early but was still later than planned for breakfast at the cute little Cafe 222 nook a block from moms house. Then I went to the library and saw mom and had the grand tour. Its REALLY nice. The whole shabang was almost 30 million. That's a rounded number because I can't remember if mom said 25 or 28. I mean it's REAL nice. If you (assuming other people than me come to my blog) ever visit Columbus, or if you already live here, go there. Be amazed.

Blogging has become something I've had to try to define to several different people recently. And I dont know if I'm getting closer or farther away from an accurate working definiton. I mean, what IS it? A place where we talk about whats on our minds, but not the same as email...some of us just post humor...some of us make our blogs tributes..."my love is building a building"...some of us get ourselves into lots of trouble by putting not so smart comments on other peoples blogs...but I enjoy it for the most part. Blogging, that is. Thanks Blogger.

The weather is gorgeous. It was nearly 80 all day yesterday. Or at least it felt like it. It was probably more like 76, but there again with a bit of a rounding action, viola`, 80 degrees at your service. I changed the oil and air filters in both our Hondas, fixed moms off-track window, cussed a lot, and washed and waxed my car. AND discovered my mother has run over something (again) and broken the exhaust pipe leading into her muffler. I started her car and it sounded like it had a souped up exhaust system in it, you know, the hurt bumble bee effect, and I thought "surely not MY mom, surely not, please no" and so me being the genius I am, got out and went to the back of the car and leaned right over in front of the exhaust to listen. Consequently I administered myself a face full of fumes. I quickly scanned my surroundings to make sure no one saw the incredibly brainless thing I just did, then turned the car off and reexamined it's underbelly to find the broken pipe. So until she has it fixed, my mother is an extra-polluting hurt bumble bee driver. Joseph suggested I buy her a "FlowMaster" sticker and put it on the back window. Hah.

Back to the weather. Today seems a little cooler, but still very nice. Over pancakes I fiddled with a crossword and discussed with Mr. Strickland the flowering Camillias (sp) and the importance of bees, and why this kind of weather tricks them into eating all their winter food and venturing out for flowers that aren't here yet, only to find that it's still winter, and they're out of food. But this kind of weather also reminds me of spring time and how much I enjoy the coming of spring in Columbus, Georgia.

Yesterday mom informed me with a sigh that we're (she and I) moving out west and getting good jobs to pay off her debt. Then we're coaxing her parents out to El Paso, TX, abandoning the remaining neurotics of our family, and becoming happy people. I'm glad one of us has a plan. I guess I'll be seeing all you cartoons in the southwestern funnies.

I guess it's about that time.

"No one, not even the rain, has such small hands."
e.e.cummings