BECAUSE YOU HAD TO GIVE NAMES TO EVERYTHING YOU FOUND, AND MAKE LOGOS FOR BAD IDEAS, AND CHANGE YOUR CAR EVERY TWO YEARS AND WAKE UP EARLY FOR CONFERENCE CALLS, AND IT TURNED OUT TO BE NO PROGRESS AT ALL / JUST A SHADOW FESTIVAL / BECAUSE OF THAT YOU WILL HAVE TO LEARN TO LOOK AT THE SKY AGAIN, YOU WILL HAVE TO LEARN TO EAT FOOD THAT GROWS WHERE YOU LIVE AGAIN, YOU WILL HAVE TO LEARN TO TOUCH WHAT YOU MAKE

- Robert Montgomery

Thursday, January 20, 2005

i steal scrap paper

I'm presently waiting for a print job to finish. I think the printer here has it in for me because it always slows down on mine so everyone behind me gets all ticked. Then the printer plugs out the next persons job really fast so it was OBVIOUSLY my papers that slowed their jobs down. Really, I mean, it's printing one page every 30 seconds or so, how embarrassing. It's just a PDF. Whats the big deal.

I collect the paper that students leave on the printer if it's not printed on, or if theres just a date or something at the bottom. So there, I confess. I grab it and use it at home for printing random stuff or rough drafts of the blue million papers I have to write over the course of this semester. Saves a little on money. And I see it as a contribution to the environment. I mean, otherwise it would go into the trash or maybe even into a recycling bin only to be reprocessed into new paper- again

so today I'm trying to catch up on all that the MLK weekend put me behind on. Reading for classes being the main thing. Last night I couldn't keep my eyes open long enough to finish the NIGHT novel for my Holocaust class and we're supposed to be done with it today and have a review, but the review was originally due on the 20th and then Tuesday he changed it to the 18th so he said we could turn it in either day even tho the 20th is a Saturday, numbskull. Not that that mattered b/c I'd be turning it in tomorrow anyway, late, but now it's not...yay.

Has anyone ever started typing and not looked at where their fingers are on the keyboard b/c you do it so much you kindof dont have to anymore? And suddenly you're typing words and it looks like this:

o, s dyif[of gtrslom ofopy nrvsidr zo vsmyd hry yjod dyigg tohjy/

and then you think "whoa, what's wrong with this keyboard?" and then you realize you were one key off and USER ERROR sinks it's ugly teeth in-

The ski weekend was a success. At least we actually made it to Boone and did something that I think would qualify as skiing from 10am-4:30pm. It started snowing on our last two runs down the mtn...especially the last run--Kev let me use his face mask because my face was wet and felt nearly frozen by the time we got about 1/4 of the way down. The temperature alone was quite tolerable, but coupled with frozen precipitation it was a pretty painful experience. At first I wanted to be tough and refuse the offer but he insisted and then I figured well, he has a beard. That has to count for something. Doesn't it? Does it? Joseph learned to snowboard and I think he and his match both had a good time. Then we managed our way homeward.

Upon leaving the Woodruff house I finally did what everyone who owns a roof mounted bike rack fears doing. Yes, indeed. I raked that sucker right off the top of my car by driving under a stretch of metal cord that I myself had erected across an offshooting drive from our main driveway to prevent certain trespassers from using it. So not only did I destroy my rack, I also felt like a real dumbass for falling victim to my own booby trap. Such is life. The bike survived without a scratch though (that I can tell), at least it still rides like a charm. And that's all that really matters.

This weekend I'm southbound to visit mama Barnes and daddy Matthews in Columbus. Good ole Mike Mahoney is in town visiting from Houston so I'll probably see him at some point. And if we're all lucky perhaps the brother and Mattie will decide to show up too. All I know is that even though last weekend was extended, I'm glad this weekend is here now...for some reason these few days have been hectic and blurry.

oh hey, the print job is done...

peace bros ;) hope you all have a nice weekend.