BECAUSE YOU HAD TO GIVE NAMES TO EVERYTHING YOU FOUND, AND MAKE LOGOS FOR BAD IDEAS, AND CHANGE YOUR CAR EVERY TWO YEARS AND WAKE UP EARLY FOR CONFERENCE CALLS, AND IT TURNED OUT TO BE NO PROGRESS AT ALL / JUST A SHADOW FESTIVAL / BECAUSE OF THAT YOU WILL HAVE TO LEARN TO LOOK AT THE SKY AGAIN, YOU WILL HAVE TO LEARN TO EAT FOOD THAT GROWS WHERE YOU LIVE AGAIN, YOU WILL HAVE TO LEARN TO TOUCH WHAT YOU MAKE

- Robert Montgomery

Saturday, March 09, 2013

big decisions in a little life in a big world......finding the balance

thirty days ago I thought really hard, prayed to the universe, felt a peace, took a deep breath, made a decision, shook a hand and turned in a resignation

so as of yesterday I officially and respectfully extricated myself from the realms of healthcare

and for the next howeverlongittakes I'm not going to work for money as a clinical social worker.

i've been called an "under-achiever"

and i've come to know now that their measure of "achievement," (along with other ideals) was and most likely continues to be based on something rather shallow

about a month ago, while on my lunch break, I had a sudden realization that at this point in this life and at this exact time it's important to pay attention to how my mental and emotional energy is spent. and until now, I believe I have been unable to really direct my attention--in as speedily a way possible--toward effectively saving money, going back to school and actively moving toward what it is I feel I desperately need to be doing with my life. I want to work toward improving the whole-person wellness in older adults and their loved ones, because somethings gotta give, but as much as I have loved working one-on-one with a handful of women and men and their families, and as much as I know I made a difference in their lives, I have absolutely no doubt that I need to be heading somewhere so I can do more.