BECAUSE YOU HAD TO GIVE NAMES TO EVERYTHING YOU FOUND, AND MAKE LOGOS FOR BAD IDEAS, AND CHANGE YOUR CAR EVERY TWO YEARS AND WAKE UP EARLY FOR CONFERENCE CALLS, AND IT TURNED OUT TO BE NO PROGRESS AT ALL / JUST A SHADOW FESTIVAL / BECAUSE OF THAT YOU WILL HAVE TO LEARN TO LOOK AT THE SKY AGAIN, YOU WILL HAVE TO LEARN TO EAT FOOD THAT GROWS WHERE YOU LIVE AGAIN, YOU WILL HAVE TO LEARN TO TOUCH WHAT YOU MAKE

- Robert Montgomery

Thursday, March 22, 2012

oak and honeysuckle and I thought describing wine was fun...

It's chuckle-worthy that leading up to and now passing by my 30th birthday, I've developed a staggering obsession with a music genre that teases out my closet electronica, techno junkie and sometimes even fuses it with everything I hated about 80s pop music.


And seriously there could be reason for concern, as lately I have been known to stop in the middle of something as important as cooking a delicate french sauce to run to the Nook and give a "thumbs up" on Pandora to bands like, "Freestylers," "College," and "DJ Fresh" -- songs with descriptions that include: electronica roots, headnodic beats, laid back female vocals, synth rock arranging, mild rhythmic syncopation, acoustic rhythm piano and extensive vamping, boiling strings, rattling synthesizers, and bass-heavy-beats. That sure as shootin beats any Pinio Noir review I've ever read--wine being the only product other than perfume that I personally (and liberally) "consume" that come with long illustrative descriptives such as the above.

I'll quickly add that this fetish of mine began with watching DRIVE -- a movie I rented purely because Ryan Gosling is in it and because I gobble up films with him in them like I did Brad Pitt movies in the 90s, but worse/more. Bands College and Desire are both featured in the film with their tracks "A Real Hero" and "Under Your Spell" respectively.

On to other things. To confess here this is a purely obligatory blog since I haven't been motivated lately--or perhaps just not operating in any consistently organized manner (consistently organized within my particular norms, that is) probably due to the fact that my world went into warp speed last week and has only barely slowed down. The feeling reminds me of being a kid and getting off a merry-go-round after a fantastical brain scrambling spin only my Dad could provide and not being able to walk strait for a few minutes.....or jumping on a trampoline for hours then trying to walk on solid ground without looking like the man on the moon.

And things aren't going to slow down for a while. Work will always been mach-level so theres no relief at the office, this weekend I'm heading to SC to clean my aunts house while she recovers from a knee injury and   next week we'll be packing to move out of the house and into a CLEAN, PEST-FREE condo (God bless it!!!) on the 31st. "Whew"simply is not a strong enough word. 

But this is my life. It is what it is. Which is probably why it's appropriate that I've attached myself to the aforementioned music.

Last night Rob took me out to dinner for my birthday since we we had out of town company and a pretty sizeable party last weekend and have barely recovered the house to normal conditions since then, must less our own routines. We went to Ocean Lodge, which to me has the best dinner-table panoramic ocean views on the island. See below:



and one of only a handful of "birthday pictures" we've taken-- after dinner



also showcasing Rob's stash (that originally would have retired at then end of "Moustache March" but has since been extended until after the Brunswick rodeo we're going to in April since Grant Powers, a bronc rider (not "bucking bronc," just "bronc," mind you), dedicated "The Ultimate Bad-Ass Award" to Rob over the course of my bday weekend.

things could suddenly turn in a completely different direction (or multiple directions) and I probably wouldn't even notice--might even be fun. we just go with it.

"Oh, baby baby it's a wild world" - Cat Stevens