BECAUSE YOU HAD TO GIVE NAMES TO EVERYTHING YOU FOUND, AND MAKE LOGOS FOR BAD IDEAS, AND CHANGE YOUR CAR EVERY TWO YEARS AND WAKE UP EARLY FOR CONFERENCE CALLS, AND IT TURNED OUT TO BE NO PROGRESS AT ALL / JUST A SHADOW FESTIVAL / BECAUSE OF THAT YOU WILL HAVE TO LEARN TO LOOK AT THE SKY AGAIN, YOU WILL HAVE TO LEARN TO EAT FOOD THAT GROWS WHERE YOU LIVE AGAIN, YOU WILL HAVE TO LEARN TO TOUCH WHAT YOU MAKE

- Robert Montgomery

Monday, March 12, 2012

on the Mark

Over the last few weeks I have been, on at least three occasions, confronted with delightful supporting evidence that I am not alone in certain feelings and positions of mine that, I, as I near the youthful age of 30, am less and less inclined to masking with the passive and more "socially acceptable" bull poop that that the general public seems to be accustomed and preferential to....

Anyway, another bit of evidence was happened upon today and I swiped it, as I frequently do, from one of my favorite websites, Letters of Note--written by the acclaimed Mr. Mark Twain.

And after watching The Trip last night, I also found absolute joy in reading the below excerpt out loud, to an audience of myself, in my office (with the door unabashedly open), and, if I may be so bold, spoken in my very best English noble accent--even though I know Mark Twain was, quite solidly, an American....from Missouri, to be exact--Salus populi suprema lex esto

(has anyone noticed just how many commas I have used so far.....)
,

"...Your letter is an insoluble puzzle to me.....Puzzles fret me, puzzles annoy me, puzzles exasperate me; and always, for a moment, they arouse in me an unkind state of mind toward the person who has puzzled me. A few moments from now my resentment will have faded and passed and I shall probably even be praying for you; but while there is yet time I hasten to wish that you may take a dose of your own poison by mistake, and enter swiftly into the damnation which you...have so remorselessly earned and do so richly deserve."
,


my oh my how many times have I found myself in this, "unkind state of mind," and, until today, never had the eloquence to channel that feeling into words I felt were best suited for those beings who have stirred said feelings inside my head and heart. God bless you Mr. Twain.

Happy. Monday.