BECAUSE YOU HAD TO GIVE NAMES TO EVERYTHING YOU FOUND, AND MAKE LOGOS FOR BAD IDEAS, AND CHANGE YOUR CAR EVERY TWO YEARS AND WAKE UP EARLY FOR CONFERENCE CALLS, AND IT TURNED OUT TO BE NO PROGRESS AT ALL / JUST A SHADOW FESTIVAL / BECAUSE OF THAT YOU WILL HAVE TO LEARN TO LOOK AT THE SKY AGAIN, YOU WILL HAVE TO LEARN TO EAT FOOD THAT GROWS WHERE YOU LIVE AGAIN, YOU WILL HAVE TO LEARN TO TOUCH WHAT YOU MAKE

- Robert Montgomery

Friday, February 03, 2012

anatomy of the seasonal cold aches and pains. a list of ten. and then some.

1. the epidermis on and around my nose. it peeled two days ago. today it just looks like I sat in the sun for three hours with a lead blanket covering my entire body except for a cutout right around the snout. not. attractive.

2. the rest of the skin, full thickness, on my entire face and scalp

3. my entire sinus cavity, which is also pressurized just enough to make my ears pop occasionally

4. my gums, and consequently

5. my teeth...I suddenly have very vivid memories of waking up the day after an orthodontist visit

6. the hair follicles of each individual eyelash...both eyes

7. my throat (but only when I cough, sneeze or breath)

8. my brain--right there where the temples are (the well known "sinus headache") but I feel it may also extend into my temporal lobe because my decision making and reasoning skills have been somewhat muted this week....and my hippocampus is probably also involved since I've felt like a dementia sufferer all week (but that could have already been there just less noticeable)

 9.  the joints in my wrists and fingers

and just so I have an even number of woes

10. my right big toe from where I stubbed it earlier coming in from getting the mail (what, that doesn't count?)

It doesn't help that Rob has been out of town for three weeks and won't be home until Sunday. It also doesn't help that my cat Stella has proven herself completely useless as a nurse. And because I like the number 3 (I have a thing for numbers), I will add that it really really doesn't help that my mom is 5 hours away.

Woe. Woe is me.

[goes to bed]