BECAUSE YOU HAD TO GIVE NAMES TO EVERYTHING YOU FOUND, AND MAKE LOGOS FOR BAD IDEAS, AND CHANGE YOUR CAR EVERY TWO YEARS AND WAKE UP EARLY FOR CONFERENCE CALLS, AND IT TURNED OUT TO BE NO PROGRESS AT ALL / JUST A SHADOW FESTIVAL / BECAUSE OF THAT YOU WILL HAVE TO LEARN TO LOOK AT THE SKY AGAIN, YOU WILL HAVE TO LEARN TO EAT FOOD THAT GROWS WHERE YOU LIVE AGAIN, YOU WILL HAVE TO LEARN TO TOUCH WHAT YOU MAKE

- Robert Montgomery

Thursday, March 02, 2006

"in a world"

Last night I watched David Lynchs "Eraserhead" with Jeff. He'd already seen most of it, and warned me it was "typical Lynch"...and maybe I wasn't completely prepared ? but then, how do you prepare for a man who creates films like Lost Highways and Mullholland Drive...so, Eraserhead. I made it 3/4 of the way through before retiring for the night. And so the dreams began.

I have a family, as in mother/father/brothers/sisters/grandparents. and we live in a big house, with a large indoor pool in the basement (me? a dream involving water? surely not)...anyway, for some reason there are fish in the pool? I think, and over breakfast I say maybe we need a few more fish...so that evening, I hear my parents drive up, and yell "open the door"...well, that day I had come across a baby nurse shark...a small animal that would be comfortable in a pool that size. Granted, I have no idea why I want fish or a shark in this pool, but whatever. The more important part is from outside in the yard I hear this father figure (I have no idea who any of the people are) say "well, we have a whale!"...and in they march with a small gray colored whale....A WHALE? oh, not only a whale, they also have a young tiger, two monkeys, a parrot, and a few other wild species better found (or left) in the forests and jungles of elsewhere, certainly not our basement.

My first reaction is of bewilderment, then I move to attempting reasonable discussion with the memebers of my family, who seem to see no problem with the fact that a dozen wild animals were living in our home, and were going to grow up to be LARGE animals. hmmm...so, the first whacked out thing to happen is the tiger eats grandpa. yep. the tiger got into the ductwork and jumped on grandpa while he slept in a hospital bed in the back corner of the basement. This is like a combination of some bizarre cartoon and The Ghost And The Darkness...as in, it seems ridiculous, but it was really like, scary, evil stuff. After that happened I woke up, and drifted in and out of the same dream, which turned into something more scifi than what it had been, until the alarm clock went off at 8:30, afterwhich I snoozed in another weird dream until around 9. All I'm sayin is, and I'm not sayin, I'm just sayin...watching Lynch before bed has to be about the equivalent of doing some crazy drug right before you go into a house of mirrors.

And today was supposed to be sunny, in my fantasy world. But, tut tut, it looks like rain. No pioneering the pool deck today!

tootles