BECAUSE YOU HAD TO GIVE NAMES TO EVERYTHING YOU FOUND, AND MAKE LOGOS FOR BAD IDEAS, AND CHANGE YOUR CAR EVERY TWO YEARS AND WAKE UP EARLY FOR CONFERENCE CALLS, AND IT TURNED OUT TO BE NO PROGRESS AT ALL / JUST A SHADOW FESTIVAL / BECAUSE OF THAT YOU WILL HAVE TO LEARN TO LOOK AT THE SKY AGAIN, YOU WILL HAVE TO LEARN TO EAT FOOD THAT GROWS WHERE YOU LIVE AGAIN, YOU WILL HAVE TO LEARN TO TOUCH WHAT YOU MAKE

- Robert Montgomery

Monday, August 08, 2011

when no one is looking, there it is


She is staying with us in the healthcare wing
For stronger lungs and legs

They called me to ask for a room and said
She will be a good patient, but her husband is strange
And I said yes and offered a bed

She is 86 and he comes every day at lunch
For a week now

Today as I walked toward the exit for lunch of my own
He was signing in at the visitor register
Wearing his usual hardware store trucker cap
Khaki shorts, tube socks and old tennis shoes
Holding a grocery bag in his left hand and signing in with the other
I noticed, gripped next to the bag handle, a splash of red

Three tiny sprigs of red snapdragon

And in that instant I felt a deep throb
A penetrating ache
A wish that I could fold quietly into the moment when he,
Turning from his path to the car
Bent into her garden
pulled his pocket knife from his shorts
and clipped those three precious stems

to curl up and live inside
a simple, pure gesture of love

I suppose I am strange too