BECAUSE YOU HAD TO GIVE NAMES TO EVERYTHING YOU FOUND, AND MAKE LOGOS FOR BAD IDEAS, AND CHANGE YOUR CAR EVERY TWO YEARS AND WAKE UP EARLY FOR CONFERENCE CALLS, AND IT TURNED OUT TO BE NO PROGRESS AT ALL / JUST A SHADOW FESTIVAL / BECAUSE OF THAT YOU WILL HAVE TO LEARN TO LOOK AT THE SKY AGAIN, YOU WILL HAVE TO LEARN TO EAT FOOD THAT GROWS WHERE YOU LIVE AGAIN, YOU WILL HAVE TO LEARN TO TOUCH WHAT YOU MAKE

- Robert Montgomery

Wednesday, December 30, 2009

Home of Hospitality

Spent a few days before Christmas in Charleston, WV. From across the Kanawha River Charleston sprawls along the valley line and up into the mountains like a modern folk art painting. Four or so inches of snow was still frozen on the ground when I arrived Monday evening but the temperatures while I visited were mild and in the upper 30s or 40s. Very nice.



This was my second 'adult' trip to West Virginia...my first being last November when a friend and I flew into PA and stayed in Thomas, WV...home of Mountain State Brewery and some very cool people. That trip was one of the best I can remember to date. I kept promising to visit again since that trip, and so a year and a month later, I made good on it. Explored a little in town while Rob was at work, fended off surprise attacks from his cat Almost and had the opportunity of meeting some of Rob's friends and the crew of KTM coworkers. Had a great time and hope to have the chance to visit again and explore some areas I didn't get to, perhaps even bring the Sur with for some mtb action.

Tomorrow is New Years Eve and I'll be heading a little farther south to the parent's for our annual NYE gala. Then Monday I begin a new beginning in a new town 5 hours even farther southeast...it's a good job, and it's on the coast, so I shall make the best of it. I'm thinking kayaking in the marsh channels will be a great new hobby of mine.

Happy 2010 all ye bloggers and passers by. I sure do hope it's a good one.